Wednesday, July 14, 2010

So, I've been gone for a couple days. Stupid internet. Sorry about that. BUT...the enforced time away from the interwebs did allow me to get a lot of stuff done that I'd been putting off for awhile, so it wasn't that bad. Missed my blog, though. I did think about something while the net was gone-the fact that I LOVE my gray hairs!

What is it with people that makes them so obsessed with hanging onto youth? I mean, I can't exactly say I'm old at 33, but I look at all the people around me who are so obsessed with staying young and looking young...creams and masks and hair goo and botox and surgery...why? I liked the way I looked in my 20s, but I'm not so obsessed with my looks then that I want to look like the idiot I was then for the rest of my life! 
On the contrary...this may sound strange to most of you, but I was THRILLED when I started to notice the gray in my hair, and I've gotten more pleased as the years go by, and more and more silver threads show. It's so attractive! I have been lucky to inherit my grandfather's silver hair; my husband says I look like I have strands of tinsel in my hair....he thinks it's sexy.
I had a friend tell me the other day that she thought it was time for me to pick up a bottle of hair color. I was a little shocked, to say the least. When I asked her why, she commented that all my gray hair made me look "like an old lady, and who wants to look old?" (Ok, to explain, I guess I have a bit more gray hair then the average 33 year old...it's not as noticeable when my hair is down, but I have two decent size streaks of gray at the tops of my temples, and threads and locks of gray throughout the rest of my hair). So who wants to look old? Well, I do.
My grays are marks of the passage of my life. They make me feel dignified, and I look at myself in the mirror and think that maybe, just maybe, God has granted me a little bit of wisdom and maturity along with them. Why would I want to hide those? They're special. It just boggles me that women(and some men) feel the need to try and hide who they are and the records of their life experiences...can't we be proud of those? Who in the world wants to be mistaken for a perpetual 21 year old? Not me. I'm happy to be a mature 33 year old with gray in her hair.
and when the wrinkles start showing, I'll be proud of those, too.

MandaMac

0 comments:

Post a Comment