Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bummer. I just found out some interesting news from the doctor: I am ALLERGIC to......sunlight. Yep. You read correctly. I am allergic to sunlight."Actinic Prurigo and Solar Urticaria". Deathblow for a gardener...not that it's really gonna stop me much in that arena. But...it sucks. I now have to take medication every day, vitamin D supplements, and stay out of direct sunlight. I guess this is going to turn me into an evening gardener. Gardening by flashlight, LOL. Ah well, I guess you can't have everything!
For dinner tonight, we had couscous and snowpeas with garlic, lemon and parmesan. I love having light meals in the summer. when I was growing up, we had a lot of "veggie suppers", which I still love: fried okra, corn on the cob, green beans or peas, fresh sliced tomatoes(which I HATE by the way) and blackberry cobbler or some such; everything usually fresh from the garden or local produce stand. Mmmm....my mom makes the best fried okra EVER. 


On another note, several of you have commented on my ever-growing book collection (and BTW, the top three shelves of the tall case are double stacked, LOL). I will confess that most of them are used, or freebies. I am not shy about picking up books at yard sales, used books stores, and I will also confess that I get a ton of books from my mom(mostly paperbacks). She is a "once only" reader. I, on the other hand, am a chronic "re-reader". If a book is good, I am liable to read and re-read it until it falls into pieces, then buy or acquire another copy to replace it. some of my very most favorite books are on their fourth or fifth copies. For some I guess books are like passing acquaintances; for me, they are old friends. My mom is always telling me there is such a thing as too many books, but how could I get rid of an old friend? It's impossible. Verges on physical pain. And if anyone has books they want to purge from their collections-email me! I will take them all off your hands! I am always hunting for new reading material; new friends to add to the old ones.
 Anyway, off for the evening. I will leave you with Today's Recipe, Bran Muffins by the Pailful. This was Mopsie's bran muffin recipe, and they are a delectable treat!




MandaMac




Bran Muffins by the Pailful


4 cups Kelloggs All Bran cereal
2 cups Nabisco 100% Bran
1 tsp. salt
2 cups boiling water
1 quart buttermilk
3 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
4 eggs
5 cups all purpose flour
5 tsp. baking soda


In a bowl, combine cereal, bran and salt. Stir in boiling water, then buttermilk. Cool until lukewarm. 
In a LARGE mixing bowl, cream together sugar and shortening. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in bran mixture.
Combine flour and baking soda. Add to bran mixture, and stir just enough to dampen the dry  ingredients.
Store batter in covered in the refrigerator until ready to use. It will keep for 1 month in the refrigerator. 
when ready to use, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 miutes or until done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment