Saturday, June 5, 2010

Good afternoon friends...it's Saturday, and I am a notorious late-starter on Saturdays....unless I have cash for yard-sales, which, sadly, I have not got this weekend. Shame, because according to Lejeune Yard Sales there are 135 yard sales in the Jacksonville area today. No fair.
Before I go out to take advantage of the day, I'll leave you with this days recipe, from Mopsie's and my mom's recipe files. We had Calico Beans often, either as a side or as a meal all by itself. Totally yummy!


Calico Beans


1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, (chicken or turkey)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. prepared yellow mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. can kidney beans
1 8 oz. can pork and beans
1 8 oz. can pinto beans
1 8 oz. can navy or great northern beans


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pan saute onions and bell pepper for 2 minutes. Add ground beef and brown until meat is cooked through.  Drain.
In large bean pot, casserole or dutch oven, combine meat mixture with remaining ingredients and mix well. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment