Friday, June 4, 2010

So today I was wondering what I should blog about. I got up kind of late, so I missed my morning garden time. When it cools down this evening, I think I'm going to bring in a few calla lilies for an arrangement. Still feeling excited about my jelly experiment yesterday, although Dale was less than impressed with my efforts. Oh well....that's a man for you.
Tomorrow I am heading down to Wilmington to pick up a hibiscus for the garden. I just love hibiscus....they're so beautiful, and this is the perfect climate. It's supposed to be crimson red. No idea what the name is, since it's a seedling grown by a lady in her yard. I've never been one to care much about "names". I just get what I like, and what looks pretty. 
I think after I get some work done today, I'm going to bake. I have been having a craving for shortbread cookies the past few days, or possibly some biscotti. I love to make biscotti! For some reason the whole process fascinates me. Most of the people I know who bake don't really like to do biscotti because it takes so long to bake the "loaves", then slice them, then bake again...I like it. When I do my annual Christmas baking binge, I always try to do at least two types of biscotti. Last year I did Chocolate Cherry biscotti, and Lemon Tea biscotti; both were great, although I think next time I make the Lemon Tea ones, I'm going to put some sort of nuts in them; pistachios might be good. 
I think I shall make some shortbread, and since I'm in a cookie mood, today's recipe will be one of my favorites from allrecipes.com. It might even be the ones I make today.


Lavender Shortbread Cookies





  • 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh lavender
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt




  1. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the lavender, mint and lemon zest. Combine the flour, cornstarch and salt; mix into the batter until well blended. Divide dough into two balls, wrap in plastic wrap and flatten to about 1inch thick. Refrigerate until firm, about 1hour.
  2. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Cookie stamps will work well on these too. Place on cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, just until cookies begin to brown at the edges. Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

0 comments:

Post a Comment